There are so many aspects of homeownership that often go overlooked, but it’s these little tasks that actually save you from major problems. Neglecting even the smallest part of home maintenance can end up costing you a significant amount of money on repair expenses and could severely damage your home’s structure.
That’s why it’s essential to only practice good habits when it comes to home and property ownership.
Here are some bad habits that can ruin not only your bank account but your home’s look and feel as well:
- Not cleaning your gutters — Gutter cleaning should be done at least two times a year, and that’s only cleaning out the small debris that builds up. If your gutters are in need of major cleaning, it’s best to give professional gutter cleaning services a call.
- Neglecting gutter replacement needs — If you have neglected your gutter cleaning needs, you may end up relying on gutter replacement services. You can’t just leave damaged or old gutters atop your roof for an extended period of time because they will continue to cause problems. An inch of summer rainfall can result in nearly 1,500 gallons of water breaking down your gutters. Don’t wait, replace your gutters as soon as they become compromised.
- Letting trees overgrow — It might not sound like it should be very high up on the priority list, but forgetting to trim your trees can lead to some big problems. Make sure you’re pruning your trees at least once every year or two in order to keep branches and tree limbs away from your house. Also, if any trees are growing underneath power lines, it’s even more imperative to keep them trimmed.
- Not changing batteries in smoke detectors — Sadly, according to the National Fire Protection Association, one in every five household fire fatalities can be attributed to malfunctioning smoke alarms. In order to keep your property and your family safe, you need to make sure you’re changing your smoke detectors’ batteries every few months.
Make sure you’re taking excellent care of just about every aspect of your house and your property in order to avoid major financial troubles. If you’re in need of gutter replacement, gutter installation services, or just want to speak with a trusted gutter cleaning company, give Gutter Maid a call right away.
Gutter replacement is a key aspect of property ownership that a lot of homeowners seem to neglect. If you don’t take care of your gutters, your entire housing structure will be in jeopardy of suffering expensive physical damage.
Keep in mind that although you can clean your own gutters, you shouldn’t attempt to replace your own gutters and install new ones yourself. It’s a much better idea to work with professional gutter cleaning technicians who also specialize in gutter installation services.
Find some local gutter installers and gutter cleaning technicians to ensure that your home’s gutters are functioning properly and looking great all year long. In the meantime, here are some signs you need to keep an eye out for in regards to your gutters.
- Regular water leaks — Each gallon of rain water weighs about eight pounds, so a home with clogged and overflowing flutters will be holding thousands of pounds of water, resulting in frequent leaks and spillage. Immediately after a rainstorm, it’s essential to take a look at your gutters and see if there are any leaks or cracks. If there are, contact gutter professionals right away.
- Paint pealing — Malfunctioning gutters can actually cause problems for exterior siding and paint jobs because of excess moisture. If you ever notice a sector of your home’s siding having visible paint issues, take a look at the nearest gutter to see if there are any physical issues.
- Wood rotting — Pain peeling is one thing, but structural rotting can be much more damaging and expensive to repair — and it can all be at the hands of faulty gutters. If a gutter cascades over the housing structure, exterior wood trim elements like door jambs and window sills will breakaway.
- Visible mildew — If a gutter’s downspout is too close to the home, moisture accumulation can begin to ruin the foundation and landscaping. Mildew can start appearing in the basement and all over the home if your gutters aren’t installed properly or are compromised in any way.
If you want to learn more about what it takes to keep your gutters clean and functioning properly, or work with trusted gutter cleaning technicians, give Gutter Maid a call today.
If you’re a homeowner, you probably know how important gutters are to your home’s structural integrity. They trap any water from rain or snow that’s melted and prevent it from coming into your home.
You know how important it is to take care of your roof. Roof cleaning will allow the homeowner to maximize their shingle life up to 20 to 25 years and sometimes even longer. While you’re up on your roof doing some cleaning, why not take a look at your gutters? If your gutters aren’t working properly, serious problems like leaks, flooding, and home damages can occur. Check your gutters to see if they need to be cleaned out or even replaced completely. So, how can you tell if it’s time for a gutter replacement? Here are a few signs.
The first sign that it might be time for gutter replacement is if you find water leaking into your ceiling or walls. These leaks can leave brown or yellow marks inside your home and can also start to destroy your house’s foundation. Reaching out to a gutter replacement service to have the work done is the easiest way to prevent any major home problems.
Another sign you may need your gutters replaced is if you notice cracks in the gutter lining. The cracks may seem minor at the beginning, but over time, they can develop into big holes causing major leaks. Check your gutters on a monthly basis to make sure there aren’t any cracks, and if there are, simply reach out to a repair and replacement service.
Typically you’ll be able to tell if your gutters are rusty just from looking at them from the ground. However, that’s usually the case if the rust has gotten past the point of repair. Your gutters can become rusty from things like leaves and other environmental debris over time. If you notice that your gutters are even slightly starting to rust, call a professional replacement service.
Broken and Falling Off
This one might be obvious, but if your gutters are falling off of your house and drooping, you should have them replaced. Since the gutters are attached to your house directly, any pulling or tearing from the gutters can do a number on your roof and siding. If the gutter was to fall off completely, it might take a part of your home with it. Prevent this from happening by addressing the issue as early as possible.
If you notice any of the above problems, reach out to gutter installation services or consider hiring a professional gutter cleaning company. They will be able to tell you exactly what needs to be done and when. They will also be able to address any specific questions you may have, all while helping you protect your home from damages.
“My gutters don’t need to be re-nailed. I can tell from the ground that they are secure to the fascia board”. The truth is, most of the time when gutters pull away from your home, they are actually tilting forward, allowing water behind your gutters, while appearing from the ground to be tightly secured. Take a look at the pictures below taken at a gutter cleaning we performed in Germantown, MD. From underneath the gutters appear to be secure to the fascia, but from above you can see that they have actually pulled away from the fascia several inches. If this issue had not been caught early by our technician, it would have led to costly repairs for this homeowner in the future.
When you become a client of GutterMaid, you may think you are hiring specialists of house cleaning in Denver or any other city to simply clean your gutters, but that is just part of what we do. We understand that homeowners often times have problems they believe are related to clogged gutters. However, that is sometimes just part of the issue. Our job is to not only clean your gutters but to check, fix, and report on other areas critical to the waterproofing of your home with cellulose insulation, such as your gutters, roof shingles, and flashing.
gutter below close