There are literally hundreds of important aspects that you need to focus on as a homeowner. There are plenty of obvious ones, sure, including grocery shopping, household cleanliness, and general maintenance care; but there are lots of other things you need to focus on that might not come to mind right away.
Here are some important questions you should be aware of when it comes to first-time home ownership:
- How often should gutters be cleaned? — Clogged gutters are actually the number one cause of basement water problems. Since an inch of rainfall can pour nearly 1,500 gallons of water onto your roof, each gallon weighing eight pounds, your home is in serious danger of suffering from major damages. Therefore, when it comes to answering how often should gutters be cleaned, it’s recommended to have your gutters cleaned at least two or three times a year. Keep in mind, it’s best to consult with a professional gutter cleaning service provider to ensure that you’re properly handling your roof and gutters. Cleaning out a few leaves can be done by yourself, but hiring a professional gutter cleaning company is a much better idea if you need a thorough cleaning, gutter installation, or gutter replacement work done as well.
- How can I keep my windows looking great? — If you truly want to have beautiful windows on your home, you need to keep them clean at all times. In fact, it’s recommended to thoroughly clean your windows close to once a week. Plenty of homeowners wash the inside of their windows but ignore the exterior, where the majority of window grime is located. Grab a squeegee, a bucket of soapy water, and some dry towels and get to work turning your dirty windows into amazing-looking fixtures.
- Who is going to tend to the landscape? — If you’re unable to perform various landscaping duties like lawn mowing, gardening, and similar tasks, you should have an idea of who can assist you so your landscape doesn’t deteriorate over time. Either work with a professional landscaping service or ask a family member to help you out. If you can perform these outdoor tasks, get to work!
If you’re still unsure of how often should gutters be cleaned and want to work with professional gutter cleaning service providers, give Gutter Maid a call right away.
As a homeowner, you might not spend all that much time thinking about gutter installation, maintenance, and cleaning — but you probably should. Gutter issues are structural issues and can even cause molding and similar water-damaging problems in your basement and throughout the rest of your home.
Properly tending to your gutters isn’t as easy as it sounds, either. There are so many things you need to be aware of because a few incorrect moves and you’ll end up spending a significant amount of money on maintenance and repair work.
Here are some common gutter installation, cleaning, and maintenance mistakes that homeowners should avoid at all costs:
- Installing gutters with an incorrect pitch — Miscalculating the pitch can lead to serious foundational damages over time, which is why it’s recommended to work with professional gutter replacement and installation services, as well as gutter cleaning services. These professionals can help ensure that the pitch is installed correctly and not too level in order to mess up water flow.
- Not adding enough downspouts or correctly placing them — In order to increase the capacity of your home’s gutter system, you need to add more downspouts. It’s recommended to add another downspout for about every 30 to 40 linear feet of your gutter.
- Hugging the edge of the roof — Gutters should be placed alongside the roofline, but not directly on top of it. They need space so they can perform properly. Positioning them a few inches below the roof overhang ensure that runoff water will evenly flow into the gutter and head towards the downspouts without spilling over.
- Working without a net — Any time you go onto your roof, for whatever reason, you need to ensure you’re being as safe as possible. Netting can help protect you from serious fall damage. Give a neighbor or family member a shout before you begin your rooftop work, too, so someone is aware you’re on the roof.
If you want to learn more about properly tending to your gutters or are considering hiring a professional gutter cleaning company for gutter installation, replacement, and cleaning services — give Gutter Maid a call right away.
The summer and the brutal heat are finally on their way out! Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean that your responsibilities as a homeowner have to take a back seat until the winter. You need to keep your home secure and clean during the fall in order to prevent all kinds of issues.
Your gutters, for instance, are in serious jeopardy during the fall. If they are left unattended, they can cause major issues as soon as the winter snow arrives. Even an inch of summer rain can result in approximately 1,500 gallons of water falling onto your home’s roof and inside your gutters. On top of that, each gallon of that rainfall weighs eight pounds, and that doesn’t include the added burden of falling leaves and branches. As a result, clogged and overflowing gutters can cause serious damage to your home. Overflowing gutters can pull away from the home, damaging siding and roofing. Plus, all that water can end up causing water damage to your home’s interior and foundation.
Your best bet for taking excellent care of your home’s gutters during the fall, winter, and summer is to consult with professional gutter cleaning services. Hiring a professional gutter cleaning company can help you avoid some of these costly and damaging problems that can occur due to overflowing and clogged gutters. From gutter replacement to leaf guard installation, these gutter cleaning services can help prepare your home’s gutters for any season.
There are, however, a few extra steps you can do to take better care of your gutters. Here are some fall steps to keep in mind that should help keep your gutters clean for a while:
- Remove all your gutter covers and start clearing all the leaves, water, and debris out. It’s best to wear gloves during this step, as well.
- Flush the gutters using a garden hose to wash out all the other smaller particles.
- Inspect your downspouts for clogs if water isn’t flowing properly.
Keep in mind, you need to always be focusing on safety when performing any tasks on your home’s roof. Wear the right safety gear, have a friend or family member nearby as a spotter, and never go onto your roof if you’re not feeling well or are impaired.
If your home isn’t ready for the upcoming fall season and you’re in need of working with professional gutter cleaning services, give Gutter Maid a call right away.